As part of the Manufacturing PA Innovation Program Expo on April 21, 2023, we plan to showcase the manufacturing fellows and their collaborations with manufacturers to advance innovation through a video competition. Students interested in participating in this video competition should (in conjunction with any other interested students on their project) prepare one video for their Manufacturing PA Innovation Program project. Only one video may be submitted for each project. Videos should be produced for a non-technical audience.
Videos must be no less than 60 seconds and no more than 90 seconds. The videos should outline the university-manufacturer team, the manufacturing problem or need, the innovation or technology, and the potential impact on the manufacturer. The first frame of the video must include the following information: Manufacturing PA Innovation program project title, PI and Co-PI(s), university, names of student(s) on the project who participated in the student video competition submission, and manufacturing partner(s). For additional guidance on the material to cover in the video, please consult the script template.
Videos will be judged by a lay audience of economic development and communications professionals. They will be asked to evaluate videos on the following criteria: presentation clarity and quality, originality and creativity, relevancy of content, and communication to a non-technical audience.
The top five winning videos will be debuted during the expo and all students who prepared the winning videos will receive recognition for their involvement in the video production.
- February 17, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. – Information session for PIs and students
- March 29, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDT – Deadline to submit video
- April 21, 2023 – Winners announced at expo
- Videos must not be less than 60 seconds or greater than 90 seconds.
- Videos must be original. No copyrighted materials (including but not limited to copyrighted music as a voice over, images/diagrams from a text book, or other copyrighted images) may be used unless you own the copyright or have a written license to use the material for this competition. Also, no trademarks (such as any stylized wordmarks or logos of any university or manufacturing partner) should be included in the videos unless you have a written license from the trademark owner. Unless otherwise specified on the competition website, you must submit a signed consent form using the relevant form(s) regarding any copyrighted or trademarked materials shown in the video that are not otherwise owned by student(s) creating the video.
- Any project for which students are interested in submitting a video must identify one of the students to be “team captain” to collect the student participation agreements and consent forms and submit the video entry and all necessary student participation agreements and consent forms by March 29, 2023.
- All videos may be posted on the Manufacturing PA Innovation Program website for public viewing.
- 2022 winning videos
- Tips for creating, filming and editing a research video
- Script template to focus content development
- Communicating Science Webinar
- This session outlines the process of breaking down technical information about science/engineering-related topics into understandable messages and stories for public consumption. Please keep in mind that the video competition judges will not have technical backgrounds so effective communication to a lay audience is critical.
- Required format of student participation agreement and consent forms:
- Official entry terms and conditions summary
Information session: February 2023
All video submissions, participation agreements, and consent forms must be submitted following the above instructions by 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on March 29, 2023.
The team captain must register the video team and upload student participation agreements for the team captain and all other students on the project team who helped to create and/or agreed to appear in the video, and consent forms for any other individuals who appear in the video (including any PI, co-PI, individual from a manufacturing partner, or others), through the instructions detailed on this page. To be considered for the competition, each student on the project team who elected to participate in the creation of and/or appears the video must sign a student participation agreement, and any other individuals appearing in the video and/or any person or entity providing materials shown in the video must sign a consent form. No minors (individuals under 18 years old) can be included in the videos.